Monday, October 23, 2006

 

Frutilla


While I have lots of trouble with verb conjugation in Spanish, I'm better with nouns. But, in Uruguay, many things have different names than the ones I'd learned. One of my students, who has very good command of Spanish, told me he spent an entire year in Chile learning the local vocabulary.

In any case, here are a few things I've learned:


It's frutilla not fresa, for strawberry (and the double 'll' is always pronounced "zh" [half-way between "sh" and "j"] in Uruguay.)

Pineapple is anana not piƱa.

Carros are not cars in Uruguay; carros are the horse-drawn carts. Auto is the appropriate name for a car.

Labels: ,


Comments:
They are super sweet right now...I highly recommend buying them.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?