Friday, April 20, 2007

 

Eating ñandú

I'd seen ñandú several times in Uruguay (photo) and its relatives in Argentina but I hadn't had the chance to try it until Wednesday night at the Club de Pesca. We had ñandú from the estancia I visited in November.

I liked it a lot. The taste is very much like beef, nothing like poultry. It made a very flavourful stew. I haven't noticed it on restaurant menus but I have seen it for sale (frozen) at some of the big supermarkets. I think we only eat the meat from the legs, so the ostrich yields less meat than a big Thanksgiving turkey. If you get a chance, I'd recommend it.


update: (after another great meal at the Club de Pesca)




ñandú also makes a very nice milanesa.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?